Monday, May 31, 2010

Ode To A Friend I only Saw Once

It's memorial day, 2010, and America's at war again;
there are zones where bomb shells shade our soldiers from the smoldering heat,
and baby wipes replace showers, if they're lucky.

As for me, I sit in an airport, texting-
going home to see my mom and dad for summer break,
I've got the land of opportunity stretched out before me,
Like a velvet carpet.

Like a red, velvet carpet.

That carpet is stained with the blood of men and women,
Knitted by the bonds in which they entrust their lives,
And strewn before me, a free and willing sacrifice.

I'm sitting in this airport, and thinking, I rise,
I get up to thank someone, who put their life on the line-
I walk up to a coffee shop, and offer up a ten,
For the next man in a uniform who walks by them.

The coffee shop was busy with people needing caffeine,
So they asked that I might bring one man by them.

I knew exactly where to go, I saw him there before,
He had been smiling, talking, even laughing,
He seemed glad, proud, humble and more.

I did not know this man at all, I do not know his name,
I've only seen him this once, and probably won't see him again.
All I know is he's got two small children, who love him very much;
He's probably got a woman, who longs to feel his touch.

He's got family in Nashville, their home ruined by the flood,
All I could tell him at that, is "Man, that sucks."
He chuckled a bit and limped on, as we walked side by side,
And standing there with him, I swear I could have cried.

He smiled and he was grateful, as he gave me a hug,
He told me that that small snack meant to him so much-
And now I sit here, at the gate, writing a little poem,
Hoping that like me, my friend gets to go home.

I'm going home to see my family, in Knoxville, TN
I've got the land of opportunity stretched out before me,
Like a red velvet carpet.

IDOMAD; May 2010

No comments: