Sunday, February 15, 2009

Together

Holding it Together
Inspired by Virgil's Aeneid, especially Book II

I'm holding all the loose ends together,
Though sometimes it feels like I'm breaking;
Surely there has to be one last straw-
For under this weight I bow, shaking.

On my back I carry the remnants of life- expiring-
I carry hopelessness, and I carry the past.
But I also hold values, and though they increase my burden,
They promise I will meet an end to suffering at last.

Following me is the innocent- a sufferer, too,
Though he does not understand the pain.
Even as he walks on his own feet, I guide him,
The helpless young soul I must maintain.

In his face, I see questions, and I see doubt
And though I feel it too, he shows the fear I dare not;
I also hide frustration, shame, grief, anger-
All for lost battles in which, in vain, I fought.

Strength and humanity are all I have left,
The only things that drive me are hope and Fate,
For I must lead the innocent to his new life,
With the promise and the destiny of being great.

I hold all the loose ends together,
Though sometimes it feels like I'm breaking;
Surely there has to be one last straw-
For under this weight I bow, shaking.

Yet I keep going- of free will, or not?
Am I an agent or merely a device?-
I ask these, but push them aside:
I've been promised reward for all the sacrifice.



IDOMAD, 2009

No comments: