Sunday, March 08, 2009

As Sleep Comes


As sleep comes, I listen to the silence,

to my heartbeat, or to my music,

and each is its own lullaby

as it hums the harmony

to my ev’ry thought, my ev’ry feeling.


As sleep comes, I sip on chamomile,

which steadies my mind, strengthens my heart,

relieves me of the world’s burdens,

as it captures clarity

and makes everything seem so simple.


As sleep comes, I watch a tea light flicker,

and it stirs my thoughts, but settles them

as it eases my eyes gently

from the garish lights of day

and it shows that I am truly alone.


As sleep comes, I smell delicate roses

(scent that lingers though the rose is dry)

that absorb my heart, swept along

to a world where thorns don’t prick,

for they refuse to spo’il such smooth hands.


As sleep comes, I feel the comfort of night,

warmth that contrasts day’s constant cruelty,

shelter of trust and cautious hope,

hands that extend out to me,

love that forever holds me by its side.


IDOMAD, 2009

No comments: