Monday, November 02, 2009

Broken

Broken

The problem and the bruises have faded away
But deep inside the pain always stays-
And I wish it never happened- wish I could erase time,
But the bruises show on my heart and mind.

I didn't say a word- I'm sure others saw it in my eyes,
But they never answered my silent cries.
I was too afraid, I was already in pain-
It was all I could do to hold tight, remain sane.

So often I fight the tears as I fell asleep-
Praying, pleading the scars won't keep,
And awakening I'd hope it was some hideous nightmare,
But the bruises and the pain were always there.

I'd go to school and bite my tongue
Silencing the sad song I had just sung,
I was safe there, so I'd wear that relieved smile-
But I was only safe for a little while.

The fear of going home always stayed around,
But I couldn't say a word- make a sound!
The neighbors would never hear my screams,
And I'd start again tomorrow, wishing it were a dream.

The scars have faded, but they're so much deeper than skin-
Surely the don't show- but the smolder within-
They hit me then, just a kid.
And of my past, I shall never be rid.

But I am older now- no longer a child,
Said to be mature, tender and mild-
I was changed by the bruises and all the pain,
But I would never wish it on anyone, or go through it again.


I wrote this this past summer, and just didn't post it.

IDOMAD, 2009.

No comments: